The Virginia Citizens Defense League has issued an alert regarding the Governor's shady maneuver.
*** SPREAD THIS FAR AND WIDE - WE NEED PHONE CALLS AND EMAIL SENT IMMEDIATELY ***
We have GOT to protect CHP holders when they travel to states like Maryland!
Governor McAuliffe wants to gut SB 1023, Senator Stuart's bill to keep Virginia from sharing concealed handgun permit holder information with states that don't honor our permits, by replacing it with a One Handgun a Month bill!
What does "One Handgun a Month" have to do with not sharing CHP holder information with hostile states? Nothing, of course. As far as gun traces out of Virginia, nothing changed when we got rid of One Handgun a Month and nothing would change if we reinstated it. It is nothing but political theater.
Unfortunately, McAuliffe seems to be far more interested in appeasing the anti-gun politicians in his home state of New York than he does protecting law-abiding Virginians.
To pass SB 1023 we need both the House and Senate to reject the Governor's changes and then to pass the enrolled version of the bill with a veto-proof 2/3 majority in each body.
WE **CAN** DO THS! SB 1023 ORIGINALLY PASSED WITH A VETO-PROOF MAJORITY, BUT WE MUST HANG ON TO THAT MAJORITY OR THE BILL WILL DIE.
URGENT ACTION ITEMS
We need to flood the Senate and House with phone calls and emails, urging them to reject McAuliffe's changes to SB 1023 and to pass the enrolled version of the bill.
THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE DEMOCRAT LEGISLATORS, IT IS PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO THIS! It does NOT matter if they usually vote wrong: this bill is different - it is more about privacy than guns.
1. Send a pre-written email to BOTH your Senator and your Delegate - this takes less than 20 seconds, figures out who your legislators are, and sends to both at one time! Click here:
2. Call your Delegate and Senator at their DISTRICT office, too. Calls can really help. Their district phone numbers can be found by clicking here:
* Delegates: http://virginiageneralassembly.gov/house/members/members.php
* Senators: http://apps.senate.virginia.gov/Senator/index.php
* If you are not sure who your legislators are, click here to find out: http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/
NEWS ARTICLE ON SB 1023 AND MCAULIFFE
Here is an article on McAuliffe's changes to SB 1023:
As someone who was recently harassed and frisked on the side of the road by Maryland State Thugs, solely for legally transporting firearms in Maryland, this privacy bill strikes close to home. I encourage all Virginian's, gun owner or not, to take action to help fight the Governor's move. Other state governments have no right to the private information of Virginia citizens, especially when they use it solely to hassle law-abiding travelers.